Sapphire Pool - Biscuit Basin

Sapphire Pool - Biscuit Basin
My Favorite Feature - Sapphire Pool

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Work Day 1 - check in to my dorm room


March 15, 2011
First off, I have to say, the Xanterra building, where they house Human Resources looks like a prison. PLEASE be aware, that this is NOT where I will be working!!!!

The check in process wasn't so bad. they just want to make sure you've got all your paperwork filled out, and take your mug shot. then we left for Mammoth to begin the check in process in the dorms. I got my own room, so far, until my roomie comes in in 10 days. I was able to get one of the rooms in the Aspen dorm, that has private baths shared by 2 rooms. HOWEVER, my friends Becca (never Becky) and Lindsay (yes spelled must like my girl) have this enormous room at Spruce. Like TWICE the size of my room. And they have more furniture!!!!!

I'm glad my roommate isn't here yet. It's giving me a chance to settle in, unpack and reorganize. My van is in total disarray, and I am having trouble finding some things.
I got my bed all comfy with a foam mattress topper, my little down throw, blankets and sheets from home. bedding is provided if you need it. It was recommended to bring your own. Other creature comforts from home include the Kuerig coffee maker (yum), bath mat, hangers, netbook and DVD player. no phone, no pool, no pets and no tv!!
One thing I'm enjoying about not having phone service is, I don't have to worry about it ringing when I'm in the bathroom, or in the shower. I mean NO PHONE SERVICE. My T-mobile phone doesn't work here in Mammoth, but all others seem to. so I just go down the road a ways near Gardiner and I get a signal.
I'm on the upper level, which is fine with me, since I live upstairs at home and it will keep me in shape. also, I don't have to listen to clomping feet about me. I like that.......
We had a short orientation meeting and then they let us go. They showed us around the office, and the work area is really nice. I'll be working in Reservations. For those of you who have EVER worked in a hotel, I will be booking rooms in 10 locations, some of which have cabins and rooms. It's a HUGE system. And surprisingly enough, the cabins are VERY affordable.
here's something quaint. Rooms only sleep 4 people. But you are welcome to bring bedding for a 5&6 person!!!!! in fact, it's encouraged!!!
Here's another "quaint" feature of the Yellowstone rooms. some of them have to use communal bathrooms!!!! That's the way they were built back in "the day", and remain to this day. Especially the ones at Old Faithful, where EVERYONE wants to stay. but there are many nice properties throughout the park, and since it's so big, it's nice to be able to sty in different areas.
the option of the cabins is a great way to enjoy the park!
I headed out to the Lamar again this afternoon for another fix.
more to follow